Saturday, December 19, 2015
Sunday, December 20th, Sarah will be selling at the Abbotsford Flea Market.
I won't be selling anywhere for a while, I have an overwhelming urge to wander off into the woods for bit. Don't know when I'll be around.
Thanks again for making today such a wonderful day, and i'm sure the folks at the food bank appreciate it as well. See you guys some time next year.
Last Market For a While
the Eastside Flea Holiday Market
Saturday, December 19
Wise Hall 1882 Adanac St.,
10am - 4 pm
i`ll be accepting food bank donations again this year,
for any size donation i`ll happily trade soap
as well admission to the East Side Flea will be $3 admission,
$2 with non-perishable food donation
so clean your cupboards and bring down some non-perishable food items, get in cheap,and get some free soap.
Wednesday, December 9, 2015
Monday, December 7, 2015
|Lye - NaOH||0.154||2.46||69.64|
|Soap weight before CP cure or HP cook||1.565||25.04||709.77|
|1||Olive Oil pomace||30.00||0.300||4.80||136.08|
|2||Coconut Oil, 76 deg||45.00||0.450||7.20||204.12|
These are the numbers i get from the soap calculator for 1 pound of soap with
30% olive oil
45% coconut oil
15% aloe butter
10% canola oil
as you can see in the green 'soap bar quality' box, the hardness is good even though this recipe is palm free, our cleansing number is high, but our conditioning number is a bit low.
The soap calculator uses science to estimate what the soap will feel like when we use it,
But in this recipe,we will be using aloe instead of water, this creates a bit of soapy voodoo magic that not only makes our soap hard (long lasting), but gentle & conditioning as well.
If you wanted to create a nice conditioning soap, but don't have any aloe, rework the recipe with lower coconut oil (hardness: 79, cleansing 67, conditioning 10)
and higher canola oil (hardness: 6, cleansing 0, conditioning 91)
yes the low cleansing number and super high conditioning numbers are correct for canola, this why i always use it for gentle conditioning soap,
Hemp oil (hardness: 8, cleansing 0, conditioning 90) is great for increasing conditioning numbers in soap as well, but it has a very short shelf life of only 6 months, before you end up with rancid hemp oil.
Anyways back to our Aloe Soap Recipe
- Melt 204 grams of Coconut oil & 68 grams of Aloe Butter, a double boiler works great for this, but if you don't have, a pot on low heat on your stovetop will work in a pinch,just watch the temps.
- cut some nice big aloe pieces in half, and start scrapping all that slimy stuff into your measuring cup, you'll need 150 or so grams for this recipe.
- after you are done collecting your aloe guts,take your stick blender and turn the guts into a nice aloe puree, any chunks of aloe will rot in your finished soap, but pureed aloe = all good.
- once coconut and aloe butter have melted, remove from heat, and add 136 grams olive oil & 48 grams of canola
- measure 75 grams of COLD aloe juice, if no juice, use 75 grams COLD water in heat safe container. I run the leftover aloe scraps from when i scraped out the guts through my juicer to get my liquid for this, but u can substitute with store bought juice or water.
- measure 69 grams of lye (sodium hydroxide), carefully and slowly sprinkle the lye into the 75 grams of cold liquid in the that heat safe container you just measured. Work slowly, and keep mixing until all the lye has dissolved in the liquid. You need to use aloe juice or water to dissolve the lye cause aloe guts are just to too thick.
- wait for your oils and lye solution to cool down to approximately 110F before proceeding
- slowly pour your lye solution into your melted oils, stick blend this for a minute or two, add your pureed aloe guts and stick blend until you reach trace. At trace, pour into soap molds (cleaned juice or milk cartoons).
- after a few days, your soap should be hard enough unmold, and cut,otherwise wait a day or two.
-after 3-4 weeks you have ready to use soap
i used french green clay and mica to colour part of the batch, the rest of the batch turned a tan colour, this is normal, if want colour add a clay or mica to your soap batter.
baby raccoon ate everything, but he still keep coming back looking for some more,
He looked so sad when i told him he ate everything there's nothing left, i had to go to the banana store to get some...
when i got back from the banana store, big momma & no taily where happily munching on some kitty kat food, guess it tastes better then grubs and garbage for dinner.
It's hard to see no taily, but if you look closely, you will see his face buried in the food dish, behind big momma.